Wednesday, October 15, 2014

The Labyrinth

     In John Green's book, "Looking for Alaska," a major theme is the question: "How will I escape this labyrinth of suffering?" For the heck of it, I thought I'd write my thoughts on what the answer may be. (Note: This post will probably make no sense if you haven't read Looking for Alaska. In fact, it might not make sense anyway.)

     Anyways. "How will I escape this labyrinth of suffering?"

     As the fictional farm boy from "The Princess Bride," once said: "Life IS pain, Highness. Anyone who tells you differently is selling something." Life is pain and pain is suffering. Because of the Fall, suffering is now ingrained into life. So really, there is no way to escape this labyrinth that we call life, because suffering is inevitable. 

     I cannot escape, I can only endure. I can wait, and I wait with a hope of the future. Because while escape is not possible, rescue most surely is! I cannot escape the labyrinth because the One who created it is the only One who knows the way out, and that is why only the Creator can rescue me.

     While I wander in this labrinth, surrounded by the suffering that never ceases and always wounds, I do not lose heart. From my perspective, I cannot see the end - the way out - because the roads twist and turn chaotically and the walls are too high. But I have faith in the Rescuer who lights my path to show me the way to Him; the way out.

     While the pain and the suffering and the unfairness go on, I find peace knowing that someday everything will make sense. The pain hurts, but I know there is always a reason. My rescue is coming and so is the end of the suffering in this labyrinth.




No comments:

Post a Comment