Sunday, October 5, 2014

children are magical creatures

     Children can be terrifying creatures that slobber and generate unearthly smells and noises, but a lot of the time they are kind of incredible.

     I've been really stressed out this past week to the point where I haven't been able to sleep very well, and get this: I've even kind of lost my appetite. (This is not natural. I seriously love food. Like, I'm surprised I don't already weigh 300 pounds!)

     But kids cured me! This weekend I had a job at an event center where my tasks were to greet people, collect their tickets, and stamp their hand as they came in. The event being held was a dinosaur exhibit/show thing that was aimed at a young audience, so most of the people I greeted were half my size.

     Let me tell you, I have never seen so many excited kids in my life. And there was something about seeing all these kids who were SO ecstatic about something fairly simple that just made me smile! Seeing tons of huge, adorable smiles and sparkling eyes made me miss being a little kid and feeling that way. Energetic, carefree, and filled with wonder.

    I love how kids are so easily amazed by things that we have become used to and don't appreciate anymore. They notice and love the small things. But most of all, they don't waste their time worrying about stupid stuff. (Except maybe the boogeyman or something) They're just happy to be.

     So I decided that I need to stop stressing about things, because worrying does exactly nothing. So I'm letting go of all that nonsense. I want to smile for no reason, just because I'm happy to be. I've been given this day on planet earth and I'm not going to waste it by not taking a step back to realize how awesome it is that I am here and breathing and free. I have a pretty nice life. So I'm going to start acting like it!

     To close, I'd like to share something a friend of mine said the other day: (actually this might be a quote from someone else, and he just used it as his Facebook status, but no matter!)

"Be happy for no reason, like a child. If you are happy for a reason, you're in trouble, because that reason can be taken from you."

     So yeah, kids must have magical powers because just by smiling at me, they made my attitude so much brighter!



No comments:

Post a Comment